Creamy Broccoli Sauce





Another happy accident!  I was making a lemon-wine sauce for some steamed broccoli and it just wasn't doing it for me.  So, I decided to chop up the broccoli and feed it to the sauce.  It turned into a creamy pesto-type sauce and I'm thrilled!  I mixed about 2 tablespoons with some leftover cappellini and it was delicious! I should have taken a picture, but I ate it so fast, there was no time to pull out the camera!





Ingredients:

  • 1/4 cup Dry White Wine
  • 3/4 cup 1% Milk
  • 2T Flour
  • 1/2t Thyme, Dried
  • 1/2t Marjoram, Dried
  • 1T Lemon Juice
  • 1/2t each: Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Black Pepper, Salt
  • 1t Crushed Red Pepper
  • 1T Olive Oil or 2T Butter (if salted butter, scratch the 1/2t salt)
  • 1-1/2 cups Broccoli, cooked (steamed, boiled, roasted, etc.)
  • 3T Feta, Crumbled


Directions:

  1. Add wine to small sauce pan and heat to boiling.  Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered 3-4 minutes.
  2. Combine milk, flour, and spices/herbs.  Stir mixture into wine, bring to boil.
  3. Continue to boil, stirring constantly, until thickened.  
  4. Reduce heat to simmer.  Stir in lemon juice and feta.
  5. While sauce is simmering, add broccoli and olive oil to food processor.  Chop until fine and somewhat creamy.  
  6. Remove sauce from heat, stir in broccoli, and serve!


Tips:

  • I used feta because I like the flavor.  It will not melt completely, so you will have small chunks in the sauce. You can replace with any shredded cheese, if you prefer a creamier sauce.
  • Pour over pasta, chicken, cauliflower, rice, potatoes.... the possibilities are endless!
  • You could also use this sauce to replace pizza sauce, serve as a hot dip, or cold on a wrap.

No comments :

Post a Comment