Tuna Casserole without the canned soup





Tuna noodle casserole is one of my absolute favorite dishes.  I normally make this with a can of cream of mushroom soup, but I was all out the other night when the craving hit.  So, I decided to create my own "sauce" and I don't think I'll ever make it the old way again.  This recipe contains 338 calories and 14 grams of fat per serving as a main course (4 servings).








Ingredients:

  • 8oz Pasta (shells, egg noodles, rigs, something that holds up well in a casserole)
  • 2oz 1/3 less fat Philadelphia Cream Cheese
  • 3/4 cup skim milk
  • 1 can solid white tuna in water, drained
  • 2 fresh mushrooms, cut into pieces
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar
  • 4 slices American cheese
  • 1/4 cup Italian style bread crumbs, divided
  • Optional veggies: broccoli, roasted red peppers, peas (yuck!), whatever kind of vegetables you and your family like will go well with this.  I prefer it just the way it is.


Directions:

  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  • Cook pasta according to package
  • In a medium skillet (I used a 10" cast iron), saute mushrooms and tuna.
  • Add cream cheese and 1/4 cup of milk.  Heat (on medium) and stir until combined, don't let it boil!
  • Drain pasta and return to pot.  Stir in sauce, cheddar cheese, the remaining milk, 2 slices of American (ripped into pieces), and half of the bread crumbs.
  • Spray a square baking dish (I used an 8" glass casserole dish) lightly with cooking spray.  Transfer pasta mixture to baking dish.  Top with remaining American cheese, ripped into thirds, and sprinkle with the rest of the bread crumbs.
  • Bake for 20 minutes, until cheese is melted and top becomes crispy.



No comments :

Post a Comment